Writing in a journal each day is such a wonderful way to help you check in on your thoughts and feelings. It is a beautiful ritual that has so many benefits for your life and wellbeing. Taking the time to think about the day just gone is a great way to live with more mindfulness and to set your intentions for the future. It can be so much more than just putting pen to paper. It can be time for reflection, creativity, exploration, experimentation – anything you wish! To get you started, we’re sharing our favourite 20 ways to use your journal. Enjoy!
Our examples below are using our wonderful 365 Journal, which, just as it says, is perfect for everyday journaling, 365 days a year (366 in a leap year!). But it’s up to you which journal you choose for your journaling moments – find a journal or piece of stationery that inspires you to write, draw or create every day!
The first thing to remember when it comes to journaling is that it’s all about you and what you need. What feels good and right – for you! The whole premise of journaling is to embrace greater mindfulness, reflect and ponder, slowing down for a few moments each day. We encourage everyone to make journaling a daily practice, but again, it’s up to you how and when you choose to journal. Make it yours!
OUR FAVOURITE WAYS TO USE YOUR JOURNAL
- Record your day – what did you do, who did you see, how do you feel?
- Capture everyday moments. Get creative and use photos from wonderful moments.
- Practise daily gratitude. Write down three things you’re grateful for each day.
- Write down your dreams – big or small, whatever you wish! How will you achieve them? What would your Dream Life look like?
- Make a list of all the things you love.
- Make a list of all the things that are worrying you right now. It can be a great release to get these out of your mind and onto the page.
- Take a photo of something that inspires you every day and write about it.
- Write down inspiring quotes and describe why you find them inspiring.
- Plan and set actions for any goals you want to achieve.
- Write daily affirmations – and say them out loud as you do!
- Record the highlights and lowlights of your day, every day.
- Record a favourite memory from your childhood – write it in as much detail as you can.
- Draw. Let your mind wander. Draw whatever comes to mind – be creative!
- Set yourself a weekly journaling challenge – choose a topic (love, friends, travel, dreams, daydreams, music for example) and write about that each day for a week. Choose topics that will inspire you.
- Write a bucket list of all the things you want to achieve in your life.
- Dedicate a few pages to all the places you want to travel to – stick in images that inspire you. Write why you want to go there. Manifest it!
- List all of your achievements – remember how amazing you are!
- Get friends and family involved and ask them to help you record memories – assign a page to them!
- List all the wonderful things that happened in the last 24 hours.
- Write a long letter to your future self – something you can look back on in years to come. Describe your life, your loves, your worries, your dreams, hopes and more!
Oh, we really could go on and on! But hopefully the above has inspired you to put pen (or paint, pictures, markers – whatever you like) to paper and embrace a regular journaling practice. Or perhaps it’s sparked more ideas of your own? If it has, be sure to share your journaling journey with us using #kikkiklove
And if you’re looking for even more inspiration, be sure to check out our article with plenty of wonderfully inspiring journaling prompts below.