Taking the time to write in a Journal every day is a beautiful way to pause, reflect and welcome greater mindfulness into your world, collecting memories as you go.
If you’ve ever wondered whether journaling is for you, how and why people journal, or even what journaling really is, we’ve put together some of our favourite tips and techniques to help you understand and embrace this beautiful practice.
Take some time for yourself now as you read on, and discover more about the art of journaling, then be inspired by our latest collection of beautiful stationery and Journals as you let your imagination take flight.
WHAT IS JOURNALING?
While there are many different ways to embrace journaling, it really is as simple as expressing yourself by putting pen, pencil, paint or any medium to paper, taking your thoughts from your mind and placing them onto your page.
You can, of course, journal digitally if that’s more for you, but at kikki.K we believe there’s something so much more beautiful and mindful about the practice of journaling onto a physical page. With this in mind, it’s important to remember there really is no right or wrong way to journal. No rules apply. It’s a beautifully personal ritual that can look different for everyone.
WHY DO WE JOURNAL? WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
By embracing a regular journaling practice, you’re making time for a wonderful act of self-care, allowing you to pause, reflect and focus on the here and now. Journaling is mindfulness at its best, whether you’re writing, drawing, typing or having fun and getting creative.
When we take the time to journal, it’s about so much more than just putting pen to paper, it’s about taking a mindful moment for yourself, which may also help to manage stress, develop ideas, boost creativity, problem solve, improve our moods and help us become more self-aware.
WHAT SHOULD I JOURNAL? HOW DO I JOURNAL?
The beauty of journaling is that it can be whatever you need it to be. What you journal about and how you do it is entirely up to you! Some people enjoy writing down their thoughts to help clear their minds, others prefer Journals with prompts to guide them along their journey. It’s all about expressing yourself in a way that works for you.
Some like to draw and let their imagination take flight. Some write lists, others use journaling to reflect on their day or plan for the future. However you journal, the pages are yours to use however you feel when you pick up that pen. Try a few different methods and see what works for you – you may even find a few styles you enjoy!
SOME OF OUR FAVOURITE WAYS TO JOURNAL
- Write down 3 things you’re grateful for each day
- Record every detail about your day. What did you do? Who did you see? How did you feel? Capture memories as you go and create a lasting keepsake
- Write a different list each day. Think about what you love, who you love, where you want to go, the things you need to do, things you want to stop doing, etc.
- After each day, write down all the things on your mind
- Write daily affirmations – and say them out loud as you do
- Record the highlights and lowlights of your day
- Reflect on how you’re feeling as you start – or end – your day
- Set yourself a weekly journaling challenge – choose a topic that inspires you and write about it each day for a week
- Free journaling – just write or draw. Let your mind wander. Fill the page and enjoy the process
- Ask friends and family to help you record memories. Assign a page to each of them
- Write a long letter to your future self – something you can look back on in years to come
- Write down and set your intentions for your day, week, month or year
- Write about your dreams, goals and hopes for the future
WHAT DO I NEED TO GET STARTED?
- To start, select beautiful and inspiring pens, pencils or markers for getting your words and thoughts onto your page.
- Next, find yourself the perfect Journal, Notebook, Sketch Book or Notepad for recording your journaling. Have a think about whether you’d like lined pages, grid or dot pages, blank pages or a Journal with prompts to guide you.
- If you’re creatively minded, you might also like to have fun by embellish your journaling with stickers, images and more.
- Find a space that’s yours, time that’s uninterrupted and let your imagination take flight.
SIMPLE TIPS FOR STARTING YOUR JOURNALING PRACTICE
- Begin by creating a simple journaling routine that works for you – try writing in your Journal at the same time each day.
- If you miss a day, don’t worry, just pick it up again the next day and continue on your journey.
- Try creating a space that inspires you – light a candle, make yourself a cup of tea, play music, whatever works for you.
- If you ever find it hard to think of the right words, don’t worry! Try drawing, painting or add in images to express how you’re feeling.
- Remember to write for you and only you. It’s not about anyone else. This is your time.
- Try not to overthink it and let the words or drawings flow onto the page.
- Remember, it doesn’t have to be neat or tidy. It’s the process, not how it looks that matters most.
- Keep in mind that the more you journal, the easier it will become and the more you’ll look forward to it every day.
- Just start!
HELPFUL PROMPTS TO GET YOU STARTED
Whether you’re well-versed in the world of journaling or just starting out, taking some time each day or week (even just a few minutes) to put pen to paper in a mindful way that works for you is a wonderful way to embrace self-care. It’s time just for you.
If you’re looking for the perfect pieces to help you on your journey, be sure to explore our latest collection of Journals, Notebooks and Writing Tools. Be inspired by the whimsical illustrations as you let your ideas, dreams and imagination take flight.