Summer in Sweden is a wonderful time. In the height of summer, the sun only sets for an hour or so in the south of Sweden and, in the north, it doesn’t set at all. Days full of sunlight, compared to the darkness of winter, is a time of celebration and Midsommar (Midsummer) is a much-loved Swedish tradition.
Midsommar is traditionally celebrated with loved ones, enjoying a Swedish smorgasbord, of which strawberries and cream play a special role. This year, we’ve taken on the traditional Jordgubbstårta (Strawberry Cake) with a modern update of Strawberry Cupcakes. Enjoy!
Find out more about Midsommar here.
Makes approximately 15 cupcakes.
• 150g plain flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 230g caster sugar
• 1 egg
• 80g butter, softened
• 85ml milk
• 1 tsp vanilla essence
• 1 teaspoon lemon rind
• Pinch salt
• 250g fresh strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line your cupcake tin with Confetti Cupcake Liners.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and mix in salt in a medium bowl.
3. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy and pale. Add the egg, mixing until combined.
4. Add your vanilla essence and lemon rind to the bowl and combine. Next, add your flour and milk slowly, stirring in between, until you have a smooth batter.
5. Take half your strawberries, rinse and chop into quarters or smaller if they’re large strawberries. Add these to your mixture, folding through gently.
6. Transfer your cupcake batter to your Cupcake Liners and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cupcakes are golden and a cake tester comes out clean.
7. Let your cupcakes cool, then ice with your delicious Lemon Cream Cheese Icing (recipe below)!
8. Take the other half of your strawberries, rinse and slice into halves or quarters, again depending on how big your strawberries are. Add one to the top of each of your cupcakes and finish with your Confetti Cupcake Flags. Enjoy!
• 1 Tbsp butter
• 100g cream cheese
• 3 Tbsp icing sugar
• Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon (just enough to make the icing spreadable)
1. Mix cream cheese and butter until creamy.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat until smooth. Add just enough lemon juice to create a spreadable icing.
3. Spread over cupcakes and add your strawberries. Pop in your Confetti Cupcake Flags and enjoy!
Shop Confetti Collection online here.
• Throw the perfect garden party
• Discover how to set your table in style
• DIY party favours
• Make your own party guest book
• Confetti gift wrapping
2 Replies to “Recipe: Strawberry Cupcakes”
Strawberry cupcakes yum!