Tune in as Kristina speaks with the hilarious and oh so lovely, Marianne Power – author of her best-selling book, Help Me!, and a self-confessed self-help junkie who spent years in search of the elusive ‘perfect life.’ In this episode, Marianne shares her crazy adventures and how she eventually learned that she didn’t need to change herself, but rather needed to learn to accept and enjoy herself. Something we should all try to do…
Like many of us, her bookshelves were lined with dog-eared copies of books and guides promising to help her live her best life. But, after reading a huge number of these ‘self-help’ books and not seeing any real change in how she was feeling or living, Marianne realised she was simply doing just that… reading everything, but not actually putting any of the recommended practices or actions into place.
So, driven by her quest for happiness, she set out on an impressive challenge to make a real change, or more correctly, every change she could possibly read about!
For a whole year, Marianne vowed to test one self-help book a month, following its advice to the letter. And what a journey she embarked on! What would happen if she followed the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People or really embraced The Power of Now? Could her life be transformed?
This year-long plan turned into a total roller coaster where everything she knew was turned upside down. What began as a clever experiment became an incredible story that Marianne shares in her very funny and moving best-seller, Help Me! – which has now been translated into 26 languages!
In this episode, Marianne speaks about her incredibly entertaining journey and how she discovered that there really is no such thing as a perfect life.
You’ll also learn:
- That by doing the thing that scares you the most, and facing your fears, you can discover that nothing is ever as bad as you imagine in your mind
- That good things happen outside your comfort zone and you really can do things you never thought you could do
- By giving yourself permission to dream big and visualise what you really want, you can learn so much about yourself
- That by taking stock and realising what makes you truly happy you can learn that there is so much you’re truly grateful for
- How you must take action to make changes. Simply wanting to make change isn’t enough, you have to work at it
- And most importantly, that you can read as many self-help books as you like, but not everything will work for everyone, and you have to find what works for you, and so much more!
If you love this episode, don’t forget to subscribe for plenty more inspiration! And please tell us what you thought by leaving us a review!
And please help up spread this inspiring message to even more people by sharing our podcast on social media with the hashtag #101milliondreamers
“One of the most important messages I took from our conversation was how important it is to remember that no life is perfect, and that life will always throw us challenges, but here are always positives to be found.” Kristina Karlsson
“I find it so brave and amazing that Marianne decided to share her journey in order to help others feel less alone and remind everyone that that there is no such thing as perfect. “ Kristina Karlsson
- Help Me!, Marianne Power: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38136826-help-me
- Marianne Power: https://twitter.com/thehelpmeblog
- Marianne Power: https://www.instagram.com/marianne_power_writer
- Feel the Fear and do it Anyway, Susan Jeffers: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/653396.Feel_the_Fear_and_Do_It_Anyway
- The Secret, Rhonda Byrne: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52529.The_Secret
- F**k it, John Parkin: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16024912-fuck-it
- Get the Guy, Matthew Hussy: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16032581-get-the-guy
- The Power of Now, Eckhart Tolle: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6708.The_Power_of_Now
- Money, a Love Story, Kate Northrup: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17165012-money-a-love-story
- I Can Make Your Rich, Paul Mckenna: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1706187.I_Can_Make_You_Rich
- Unleash the Power Within – Tony Robbins: https://www.tonyrobbins.com/events/unleash-the-power-within/
- You Can heal Your Life, Louise L. Hay: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/129603.You_Can_Heal_Your_Life
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen R. Covey: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36072.The_7_Habits_of_Highly_Effective_People
- Daring Greatly, Brene Brown: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13588356-daring-greatly
- Rejection Therapy: https://www.rejectiontherapy.com/
- Mary Oliver: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poets/mary-oliver
- Alain de Botton – The School of Life: https://www.theschooloflife.com/
- Your Dream Life Starts Here, Kristina Karlsson: https://www.kikki-k.com/au/shop-by/collection/dream-life/
- Dream Life Journal: https://www.kikki-k.com/au/shop-by/collection/dream-life/
- 101 Dreams Audio Guide: https://www.kikki-k.com/au/dreamlife.html
Our dream is to inspire and empower 101 million people around the world, just like you, to write down three dreams, and go chase them!
Don’t forget to help up spread this inspiring message to even more people by sharing our podcast on social media with the hashtag #101milliondreamers