Kristina got to tick off her dream of meeting Gillie and Marc Schattner this episode – the super inspiring pair behind some of the world’s most iconic artwork, who are not only living their childhood dreams of creating amazing artwork, but also use their art as a powerful platform for positive change.
Best known for their much-loved characters – Rabbitwoman and Dogman – who you can find all over the world, Gillie and Marc have worked together for over 27 years, creating art as one and spreading the love they have for each other with the world.
And, if you’ve ever wondered about the meaning behind these two unlikely companions – Rabbitwoman and Dogman – they were created as a representation of diversity and acceptance. Gillie and Marc believe that “If the world can accept a weird looking rabbit and a weird looking dog, then surely they can accept people from every country and every race.”
Driven by a mutual desire to change the world for the better, their most recent project, Statues for Equality, is something we at kikki.K are very excited about, and encourage everyone to get behind!
With gender inequality as one of the most critical issues facing the world today, Gillie and Marc’s statues aim to balance gender representation in public art, and honour women’s contributions to society.
In New York City, less than 3% of statues are female, with Sydney and London close behind. In fact, there are more statues called John in the UK than there are of historical women!
Gillie and Marc are on a mission to even out these numbers, starting with 10 larger-than-life statues of inspirational women, including: Oprah Winfrey, Pink, Nicole Kidman, Jane Goodall, Cate Blanchett, Tererai Trent, Janet Mock, Tracy Dyson, Cheryl Strayed and Gabby Douglas. What an amazing line up!
These women were voted by the public and their statues will be unveiled on Women’s Equality Day, August 26th, in New York City.
In this wonderful episode, Gillie and Marc give us an insight into their life, their relationship and their true passion, which is creating change through their art.
You’ll also discover:
- The power of writing down your dreams, then planning the actions to make them a reality
- The benefits of working together for a cause, rather than individually
- The true power of art as a platform for social change
- How to follow your heart and take risks
- That there really is no right or wrong way when it comes to following your dreams
- That if you’re passionate enough and if you love something enough, you’ll be able to make it work, and so much more!
Apologies for the background noise throughout this episode. Kristina was lucky enough to meet with Gille and Marc in their studio above their gallery, which meant there is a bit of noise throughout their chat. Hopefully it won’t be too distracting, and will make you feel like you are right there with them.
If you love this episode, don’t forget to subscribe for plenty more inspiration! And please tell us what you thought by leaving us a review!
And please help up spread this inspiring message to even more people by sharing our podcast on social media with the hashtag #101milliondreamers
“I encourage everyone to check out the Statues for Equality website to get behind this amazing project, and vote for other women you’d like to see immortalised in bronze! And don’t forget the unveiling of these 10 inspiring statues on August 26th – Women’s Equality Day!” Kristina Karlsson
“After speaking with Gillie and Marc, one thing that really resonated with me was the advice they gave to their son, about figuring out what you love to do and focusing on what you’re passionate about, not just following a path of what you ‘think’ you should do.” Kristina Karlsson
- Gillie and Marc: https://gillieandmarc.com/
- Statues for Equality: https://www.statuesforequality.com/
- Rabbitwoman and Dogman: https://gillieandmarc.com/collections/public-dogman-and-rabbitwoman
- travel.everywhere.with.love: https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/traveleverywherewithlove/?hl=en
- Love The Last: https://gillieandmarc.com/collections/public-dogman-and-rabbitwoman
- Outliers. Malcolm Gladwell: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3228917-outliers
- Your Dream Life Starts Here, Kristina Karlsson: https://www.kikki-k.com/au/shop-by/collection/dream-life/
- Dream Life Journal: https://www.kikki-k.com/au/shop-by/collection/dream-life/
- 101 Dreams Audio Guide: https://www.kikki-k.com/au/dreamlife.html
Our dream is to inspire and empower 101 million people around the world, just like you, to write down three dreams, and go chase them!
Don’t forget to help up spread this inspiring message to even more people by sharing our podcast on social media with the hashtag #101milliondreamers