In this wonderfully inspiring episode, Kristina speaks with the incredible Turia Pitt, who survived – but was badly burned in – one of Australia’s bush fires while competing in a 100 KM ultra-marathon over 10 years ago.
What Turia had to go through, with 65% of her body being burnt, is almost beyond belief. Trapped by the blaze, she was air lifted out of the remote desert barely alive and wasn’t expected to survive. However, against all odds, Turia rebuilt her life and defied every expectation of her, overcoming daily challenges, embracing gratitude and shifting her perspective constantly along the way.
Turia has written multiple books, mentored thousands of people, smashed her own incredible goals of competing in Ironman competitions and anything else she puts her mind to. There is no doubt that Turia’s traumatic event changed her outlook on life, but what is even more remarkable is that she says it made her even more grateful for the life she has, which she shares in her latest book, Happy & Other Ridiculous Aspirations.
In this book, she also interviews high-profile athletes, comedians, scientists and world experts to explore how everything from money to our relationships has an impact on how happy we can be.
Keep listening to hear Turia and Kristina discuss the book as well as Turia’s incredible resilience and lots of helpful tips on working through challenging times, including:
- Reframing how you view any situation, changing your perspective from negative to positive
- Remembering there are always silver linings, even in the most traumatic events
- Changing your self-talk and remembering the importance of self-care and self-love
- The power of taking baby steps when working through hard times
- Remembering to be grateful for the ordinary things and savouring the good times
- Remembering we are all human and it’s okay to feel how you feel – we can’t be happy all the time
- That it’s okay to ask for professional help for your head and heart when you need it, and so much more!
If you love this episode, don’t forget to subscribe for plenty more inspiration! And please tell us what you thought by leaving us a review!
And please help up spread this inspiring message to even more people by sharing our podcast on social media with the hashtag #101milliondreamers
“Turia was high on my list of people to meet, and after meeting her last year, she has continued to inspire me daily.” Kristina Karlsson
“What an extraordinary woman Turia is! I just love how she can be so positive and see the silver linings despite all she has gone through.” Kristina Karlsson
- Turia Pitt: https://www.turiapitt.com/
- Happy & Other Ridiculous Aspirations, Turia Pitt:
- Archie Comics: https://archiecomics.com/
- The Map That Changed The World, Simon Winchester:
- Lifeline Australia: https://www.lifeline.org.au/ or call 13 11 14
- Beyond Blue: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/ or call 1300 22 4636
- kikki.K Canvas Tote bags
- Your Dream Life Starts Here, Kristina Karlsson: https://www.kikki-k.com/au/shop-by/collection/dream-life/
- Dream Life Journal: https://www.kikki-k.com/au/shop-by/collection/dream-life/
- Sign up for Kristina’s FREE Live Online Dream Workshop: https://www.yourdreamlifestartshere.com/resources
- Your Dream Life with Kristina Karlsson Podcast Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/yourdreamlifepodcast/
- Join the waitlist for Kristina’s Your Dream life Starts Here digital course: www.yourdreamlifestartshere.com
- 101 Dreams Audio Guide: https://www.kikki-k.com/au/dreamlife.html
Our dream is to inspire and empower 101 million people around the world, just like you, to write down three dreams, and go chase them! Don’t forget to help up spread this inspiring message to even more people by sharing our podcast on social media with the hashtag #101milliondreamers