In our very first Dream Life podcast, Kristina speaks with Dr Tererai Trent, one of the most internationally-recognised voices for quality education and women’s empowerment – and Oprah Winfrey’s all-time favourite guest!
Discover her truly incredible life story and how after being inspired and given permission to dream of a better future, she overcame poverty, a lack of education as well as an abusive relationship to make her seemingly unachievable dreams a reality. Dr Tererai Trent is living proof of the power of dreaming, and that no matter where you start in life, your dreams are achievable. In fact, her story is so powerful, we had to create a two-part podcast in order to share it all with you.
In this episode – part 1 of 2 – you will discover…
- How Tererai overcame a difficult childhood in rural Zimbabwe and how you can apply her simple approach to your own challenges
- How a chance visit from a stranger sparked her incredible dreaming journey, inspiring her to dream big – and how that can work for you
- The power of writing your dreams on paper
- How you can start from anywhere and achieve your own dreams
- How you can overcome obstacles and barriers as you chase your dreams, including how to deal with self-doubt
- How, no matter the circumstances you’re coming from, you can achieve everything you dream, and so much more!
When you’ve finished listening to part 1, be sure to continue listening to part 2 of this inspiring conversation here>
‘Dr Tererai Trent’s story of dreaming and chasing dreams is, without doubt, the most amazing I have ever come across. Chosen by Oprah Winfrey, from the tens of thousands of guests she has ever interviewed, as her all-time favourite guest EVER. Tererai truly is one of my heroes.’ Kristina Karlsson.
Born into poverty in war-torn rural Zimbabwe, uneducated and married into a physically-abusive relationship at just 11 years old, Tererai was already a mother of four by the age of 18. Little did she know that a chance visit by an American woman, who inspired her to dream would lead to her mother encouraging her to write her seemingly unachievable dreams down on paper. This became the starting point for an inspirational journey to making her dreams a reality.
Tererai’s approach to writing down her dream and visualising herself making them happen, combined with her steadfast determination, hard work and belief in her dreams would eventually earn her multiple degrees, and a prominent global platform with world leaders and international businesses and audiences where she advocates for universal access to quality education.
Now a scholar, humanitarian, motivational speaker, educator and founder of Tererai Trent International, Tererai has also released her first book, An Awakened Woman and a wonderful children’s book, The Girl Who Buried Her Dreams in a Tin Can: A True Story . Her story is a triumph of the human spirit and the incredible power of dreaming. Hearing her wisdom and tips in this podcast are sure to inspire you to consider your own dreams, write them on paper and then set out to achieve them.
‘Tererai’s story shows that you can have nothing, come from nothing and still achieve everything you dream.’ Oprah Winfrey
Kristina was so inspired and moved by Tererai’s incredible story that kikki.K will be donating US$1 from the sale of every copy of Kristina’s book, Your Dream Life Starts Here to the Tererai Trent International Foundation. Kristina’s dream is to be able to help Tererai build on the generous foundational support she received from Oprah Winfrey and support her dream of providing universal access to quality education for children, regardless of their gender or socio-economic backgrounds.
- Tererai Trent International https://tererai.org/
- An Awakened Woman, Tererai Trent https://tererai.org/adult-literature/
- The Girl who Buried her Dreams in a Can, Tererai Trent https://tererai.org/tti-childrens-books/
- Your Dream Life Starts Here, Kristina Karlsson https://www.kikki-k.com/au/shop-by/collection/dream-life/
- Dream Life Journal https://www.kikki-k.com/au/shop-by/collection/dream-life/
- 101 Dreams Audio Guide https://www.kikki-k.com/au/dreamlife.html
Dream Life Masterclass Sydney and Melbourne
Join Kristina Karlsson live with the amazing Dr Tererai Trent for a three-hour event to focus on your dreams and be put on a path of self-achievement, success and happiness. In Sydney, Kristina and Tererai will be joined by Olympic athlete, Alisa Camplin-Warner, and in Melbourne, Leading Nutritional Biochemist & seven-time #1 bestselling author Dr Libby Weaver. Find out more here: https://www.kikki-k.com/au/dream-life-masterclass-series.html
If you loved this episode and found it useful, please rate, review and subscribe, and help us spread this inspiring message by sharing our Dream Life podcast with the hashtag #101milliondreamers. Our dream is to inspire and empower 101 million people around the world, just like you, to write down 3 dreams, and go chase them.